Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Space tourism by 2007?!

Apparently there is both the Means and the Customers to support suborbital space tourism (SpaceshipOne)

Article online at:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4506133.stm

***
Mr Whitehorn said about 100 people had signed contracts to pay $200,000 in advance for a spaceflight, while another 29,000 had agreed to make deposits of $20,000 for rides.
The spaceships are expected to be able to carry between five and nine passengers per flight. Each flier will have his or her own window to enjoy the view and can unstrap to float freely during the four to five minutes of weightlessness planned for each excursion.
Mr Rutan said that if the private spaceships could be made as safe as commercial aircraft were during their early days, up to 500 passengers would fly the first year the service was available and 3,000 people by the fifth year.
"By the 12th year, 50,000 to 100,000 astronauts will have enjoyed that black-sky view," Rutan said.
***

29,000 people apparently have the means to pay $200,000 for a 4 minute ride above the atmosphere!

It beats my estimates by a long shot. Let's see: 500 people times $200,000. That's a gross $100 million dollar industry for the first year! And up to $20 billion over 12 years!

Perhaps I was wrong in my assessment of an "unviable" industry. However once the initial novelty runs off (first 100 in space), perhaps people will reassess the value of spending $200,000 for a 4 minute amusement ride. Who knows? Maybe people are sillier than I thought?

Personally I think it is extravagant and selfish use of money, but it's what we have right now. Some people can throw away $200,000 on amusement, while others won't make that much in a lifetime.

Some might say it is "harmless" - better than $80 billion in miltary spending in Iraq perhaps.

I suppose it does create some envy - from those who can never afford it (or don't choose to afford it).

Sure, under the right conditions I might take a ride into space. I think it would require the invention of a nonpollution unlimited free-energy source, which I don't expect will ever come to us.

Overall I'm just too greedy with my hard-earned money. Perhaps if I was a stock millionaire with Microsoft I'd think about it, but 4 minutes? I think I'd still need a little more time. I'd not go to space until at least I could hitch up with an orbiting space station and hang out a bit. You know, enjoy the view for a week or so. That's be worth it.

Ah, still, I admit, I'd probably not do it. I mean we can get some good cameras in space to photograph the beauty of the earth. Why not just make a good OMNI theater experience - real time views from space and all that. That's more my style, and I don't have to risk getting killed either.

Yup, call me a chicken, go ahead, but it won't change my mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home