Tuesday, May 23, 2006

AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH

A new horror movie is coming out, narrated by the once next president of the United States, Al Gore, showing evididence of climate change, link at:
http://www.climatecrisis.net/

I'm ALL FOR a spokesperson for climate change, and my only reserve is the "Exaggeration effect". The only thing I learned from reading Rush Limbaugh's book is that "People with causes are not to be trusted with their facts."

How do you "scare" peeople into acting upon SLOW crises before it is too late?

The website above starts with:
Humanity is sitting on a ticking time bomb. If the vast majority of the world's scientists are right, we have just ten years to avert a major catastrophe that could send our entire planet into a tail-spin of epic destruction involving extreme weather, floods, droughts, epidemics and killer heat waves beyond anything we have ever experienced.

Is this true? I don't know. Myself, I'm betting the Gulf Hurricanes will score more touchdowns this summer and fall, and I'm glad I don't live in a hurricane zone. But I also know things go in cycles, and making explicit predictions, even like "ten years" however "prophetic" risks down playing the issue if the crisis unfolds slower than that.

I'm WITH the climate change supporters, and largely pessimistic that (1) We can do much about it. (2) We will do much about it.

So don't get ME talking in public. I don't know about 10 years, but I accept the premise of the Long Emergency that the next 20-30 years will leave us with a world much different than we know now. Different environment, different expectations, and different priorities.

I'm content to let the crisis managers perform their magic "mitigation". I think we'll be better for anything we can do to conserve and plan ahead. I just don't think it'll change our destination.

Einstein said you can't solve a problem with the same consciousness that created it. I think that applies, and I don't see the systems of laws and institutions that rose in our time of abundance will be capable of the change required of us.

Anyway I do like Gore's film title, "An inconvenient truth" - there's more than one, but it's a start!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home