Tuesday, February 27, 2007

damned environmentalists - say what matters!

Got email from http://www.nrdc.org/ today, asking for me to help in their campaign to save the teddy bears of the north:
***************
http://www.nrdconline.org/campaign/polarbearsos_0207

I strongly support your proposal to list the polar bear as a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act. The scientific evidence that polar bears are threatened with extinction from global warming is overwhelming. Polar bears are completely dependent on Arctic sea ice to survive, but 80 percent of that ice could be gone in 20 years and all of it by 2040. Polar bears are already suffering the effects: birth rates are falling, fewer cubs are surviving, and more bears are drowning.

I am therefore very concerned that your proposal fails to identify global warming pollution as the cause of rising Arctic temperatures and vanishing sea ice. Our government's refusal to curb global warming pollution is a primary cause of the polar bear's melting habitat and terrible plight. It must be addressed. And while your proposal discusses the kind of habitat that is essential for the polar bear's survival, it does not designate any of it as "critical habitat" that could help the bear recover.
Please act swiftly to finalize the listing of the polar bear and designate its critical habitat. We must act immediately if we are to save this magnificent Arctic creature from extinction.
***************

It's all Bushie's fault. If he'd just accept the evidence of GW and do something the teddy bears would be saved.

What's a person supposed to do?

Okay, bad bad government. I disapprove.

Can we PLEASE be a little more thoughtful here?

YES, GW has its most clear effects in the artic and it will continue whatever we do. Those teddy bears will have to "make do", adapt, move south, whatever, and they may yet go the way of the wooly mammoths. boohoo

Let's get REAL here - cute teddy bears DO NOT TAKE PRIORITY over humans. Yes they're cute. Yes, they will suffer and die. That's NOT going to run economic policy. A good party is not shut down because of a few unfortunate animal victims. (Call them "An unfortunate lunch" if you like and we can save the rest for the zoos.)

HOW do we "protect the polar bears"? If they are judged as "Endangered species", what will we do about it? What possible measure of success can we make? Short of hauling a few representatives into ZOOS pretty much nothing.

But the NRDC wants us to sign their petition?

How about MY petition?

*************
In response to the plight of the majestic polar bears in their melting habitat I vow to bury my car (so no one else can pollute with it either), walk or bike
everywhere I go, turn my thermostat down to 55F, use only wind or solar powered electricity, grow all my food in my backyard, and quit my job so I'm not temped to spend any more money on this destructive economy.

Please sign here....

*************

No takers? Well, maybe a few, but not many parents I bet, and not many congresspersons.
Maybe killing myself might be a better approach to save the polar bear. AT LEAST I've got no KIDS who will pollute long after I'm DEAD!

No NRDC has no such solutions. They want us to sign a f*cking petition to make everything better, and send them $50 I suppose. They'll keep lobbying in our name for feel-good campaigns which will make no difference.

I still think the SOLUTION to global warming is obvious - STOP burning fossil fuels! Now this MUST be the destination, even if it can't be done instantly. This goals leads to my grim conclusions ONLY if there's no alternatives, and probably there are none that will equal fossil fuels, but we gotta do something!

My GOAL is to convince 51% of Americans that their KIDS will have a horrible life unless they reform sooner or later. I DO think the automobile must go, somehow, even if it is just a fraction of what we must do.

Anyway I'd be happier with the "Ban the car" campaign over the "Save the teddy bear" campaign. At least the first one is more honest of the difficulties ahead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home