Thursday, August 04, 2005

We're not afraid!?

http://www.werenotafraid.com
*************
  • We are not afraid to ride public transportation.
  • We are not afraid to walk down a crowded street.
  • We are not afraid of each other.
  • We are not afraid to say that terrorism in any form is never the answer.
  • We’re not afraid is an outlet for the global community to speak out against the acts of terror that have struck London, Madrid, New York, Baghdad, Bazra, Tikkut, Gaza, Tel-Aviv, Afghanistan, Bali, and against the atrocities occurring in cities around the world each and every day. It is a worldwide action for people not willing to be cowed by terrorism and fear mongering.
  • The historical response to these types of attacks has been a show of deadly force; we believe that there is a better way. We refuse to respond to aggression and hatred in kind. Instead, we who are not afraid will continue to live our lives the best way we know how. We will work, we will play, we will laugh, we will live. We will not waste one moment, nor sacrifice one bit of our freedom, because of fear.
  • We are not afraid.

*************

Overall I find myself very underwhelmed by this website. I suppose it is largely because I'm not personally afraid of terrorism affecting my life and surrounding. I suppose I'd have the same response to the statement in regards to rainfall.

On the other hand, getting bit by a dog in 1996 inspired my own sort of "I'm not afraid" fantasy response. I imagined going back to that yard with a baseball ball and knocking that dog out senseless, if not into pulp. Of course as soon as my fantasy superiority ran its course, I had no need to follow through. I only had to know I COULD if I wanted to. I could defeat ANY DOG ANY WHERE, naked if I'm forced, with nothin' more than my fingers if that's all I have. Sure, I could get mauled, but that dog will not come away stronger than me. (On the other hand, a bear, well, maybe I'm not so cocky.)

Overall I AM AFRAID, but not overly of terrorists. I admit if I lived in Israel or Iraq, I would likely be afraid. I would offer some sort of fantasy warrior mentality to not let my fear keep me from doing what needs doing however. So if "We're not afraid" means "We're not going to let our fear limit us", well, at least I understand.

ON THE OTHER HAND, I guess I do have my own fears to confront. I don't fear physical harm, but I do fear for an uncertain future that I don't believe we are collectively prepared for.

Since the future doesn't yet exist, it is a much more scary enemy than a dog or a suicide bomber.

The WORST thing to think about when you fear for your own future, is you realize that the worst you can imagine is already being lived by others less forunate right now.

I think the website is harmless, but an underwhelming response to terrorism.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home