Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Prolife Triumph?

Groups like Planned Parenthood see the appointment of John Roberts to the U.S. Supreme court will tip the balance against the 1973 Roe vs Wade decision that legalized abortion.

I must admit I don't have much "fight" in me. I'm tempted to say to the Prolife Conservatives, "Okay, you win. Whatever." and see what happens.

Things go in cycles and it seems the current cycle gives advantage to the "opposition".

I sort of felt that way with Bush's re-election as well. Let the bastard destroy what he can, and they're responsible for the results.

Not a very progressive position, surrender, but HELL, what's a person supposed to do - be a full time activist?!

It seems to me that "Saving Roe" takes too damn much energy, and there's more secure fights available.

I suppose I can't help but believe there will be new restrictions on abortion "rights" as new cases arise to the highest court, but it seems inconceivable that the court would fully reverse itself.

I can imagine a reverse might take the form of moving the debate back to the states, and each state can fight on their own. That wouldn't seem a great loss. I mean it seems fully unlikely for a 50 state consensus to come against lawful abortion.

Maybe it would be horrible, with wide and deep conflicts erupting state by state.

I just can't fight this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home