Thursday, February 23, 2006

Powering down and human suffering

It is curious question to imagine a future with less energy than more. Lots of people try, but we're all just guessing in the dark.

There's never been 6.5 billion people on earth with less energy available as last year. Hasn't happened, and given the one-time use of fossil fuels, it might never happen again.

A part of me want to "try" conserving "early", to "teach" others to care about resources being needlessly squandered. BUT is the fight really worth anything.

Do I really want to fight for a senseless energy tax which at best will simply delay the inevitable - the powerdown of humanity.

Perhaps in 100 years, with population a bit lower, perhaps people will still be typing away at keyboards like mine, perhaps on solar powered wireless internets? Who can imagine?

I do wonder the value of books. How many will survive? How many should be saved? How many will be burned as fuel, or recycled for some need we can't imagine now? Funny funny questions.

I do like offering "solutions" - higher prices for unsustainable fuels, but I'm just too pessimistic to believe it'll make much difference. President Bush may be right afterall - technology is the answer, even if not exactly as he projects. Technology in the sense of human genius to "make do" when circumstances change.

I pity all who can't see the powerdown coming, but at least perhaps their reward is few more years of blissful ignorance.

Myself, perhaps I'd better bit my tongue and keep the secret conspiracy of gloom and doom a little longer. Perhaps I can still be like the lucky people who invest in death and destruction. There's money to be made in suffering!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home