Tuesday, May 09, 2006

IP CD5 endorsement

I'm going to the Independence Party CD5 endorsement convention in a few minutes.

The DFL endorsement was last weekend:
http://insideminnesotapolitics.blogspot.com/2006/04/exclusive-multi-podcast-of-dfl-cd-5.html

What issues I should bring to the IP candidates?
Mine are:
1) Energy security and conservation.
2) Federal budget deficit and debt.
3) The war in Iraq.

Ideally a person ought to not only have "issues" but solutions. I mean I can pick the brains of others, but if I don't know what is best, or what is realistic, what good can I do?!

My "answers" are:
1) Raise fuel costs in exchange for reduced payroll taxes to encourage conservation. Really "costs" alone might "solve" our energy issues because they create expectation in the market for higher prices and make alternatives competitive, even without subsidies.
2) I don't care too much how large the government is, although I'm glad others do care, but overall it seems clear "pay as you" go is the way, and if raising taxes is what's needed, I accept that.
3) The war in Iraq has cost us greatly. I agree with the positions that immediate withdrawal is unacceptable because of the instability it would cause, but it seems a process must be offered for looking at different futures for Iraq and see which people support, whether division into autonomous zones or even new countries, or holding unity. Anyway whatever the costs, I think setting a timetable for withdrawal is good because it forces issues, even at the risk of further violence.

Well, we shall see....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home