Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Change done right?

I keep wondering, when I see how dirty and ugly politics seems, desparation for attention in a world of distraction, self-interested blindness, inconvenient truths, and exaggerations, playing on fears, and offering unrealistic hope that we can have our cake and eat it too.

Still, my bottom line says if an issue can only be won on partisan lines, it is not worth the price of that victory.

It is interesting the democrats in DC and Minnesota both have passed partisan bills that were vetoed by republican president and governor.

How much is political points? How much is serious? I don't know. Maybe some issues are doomed to partisan power, but I hate as much the idea that my representative is voting party line for or against something.

Certainly it is annoying to be in the minority. It is liberating to gain a majority and dream big. I don't discount wishing to do great things. I must simply consider the bigger picture - what's the use if everything is reversed in the next election cycle?

What if the majority party (in any voting body) said they'd withdraw any bills that couldn't gain at least 25% of the opposing party's vote? If you imagine a close 52-48 split, that means a hefty 64% support, although you'd imagine perhaps 25% of the majority party might still not walk the line.

It's sort of like the fillibuster rule in the Senate - needing 60% to agree to get something discussed. I really think it's SILLY for a majority party to discount this rule as harmful, asking for a "up or down vote". Fillibustering is an up or down vote requiring a larger support.

Well, having an opposition party executive offers a check I suppose to power, a reason to compromise. Again looks dirty, veto power, but can be overridden if you take the time to get enough support. The veto power says "Please work together".

I suppose the annoying thing is your supporters will say "You had the power, but not the balls to take it." Implying a failure to advance partisan causes is a failure of leadership.

I know I'm as bad as anyone when I "know what's best", ha-ha, but as ugly as compromise is, it seems nicer than brute power for a small majority position. I know I can be as frustrated as anyone by irrational arguments, and seriously every debate with emotion ultimately relies on being close minded to the weakness of your position.

I don't know where the balance lies - in retreating from Iraq, or funding state government.

I just wish "voices of reason" from every side could step forward. I mean, once someone has shown himself incapable of reason, move on, but make sure its not YOU too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home