Thursday, November 03, 2005

Senate passes budget cuts, Alaska oil drilling

http://www.startribune.com/stories/587/5706505.html
The bill, passed by a 52-47 vote ... The measure also would permit exploratory oil drilling in an Alaskan wilderness area.

A quick article, but interesting. Nice at least that both Minnesota Senators, Dayton and Coleman, voted against it.

I don't have a really good sense of the reasons against drilling in ANWR despite all the news. I mean I don't have the knowledge t firmly judge it on the facts of environmental harm. I can blindly accept the argument that it is possible to "drill carefully" and minimize the environmental impacts of new roads, pipelines, etc.

On the bigger issue, reducing our dependence upon petroleum, there I have more issues. On the one hand I accept the argument "We'll need it later" against drilling, but later might be sooner, since it'll take a decade for serious flow anyway.

I think I see the "bigger picture", that:
1) We CAN'T "drill" our way to oil independence.
2) Oil in ANWR is much harder to get at than the still cheap and easy production in the middle east.
3) We are the "Number One" world consumer and importer.

We worry about Billion+ China and India increasing their share of the world oil pie, while we think we can continue consuming 25% of the world's production. Not a smart bet, however offensive our military might look.

My "smart bet" is "managed oil decline", managed by high prices first, investment in conservation second, and investment in alternatives third.

Overall, I would say "ANWR oil is off-limits" until we create a national energy policy that recognizes our dependence and sets us on an honest attempt to reduce our consumption. Under any other condition, I see ANWR oil as merely delaying the Day of Reckoning for our consumption patterns.

Anyway, I guess I have a fatalist POV that says we're screwed whatever we do, so let the republicans make it easier for us to walk off the cliff. When the free fall begins, we'll think of something, maybe.

Let the party continue, another decade, if we can!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home