Friday, September 16, 2005

Starving the Beast? What's the plan?

The president is certainly surprising. I've never heard of so many hundreds of billions of dollars flying everywhere before Bush took office.

What do we have on our plate? 1. $200+ billion for Iraq/Afghanistan/war on terror
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/03/iraq.poll/ $300 Billion?
2. $200+ billion to send humans back to the moon and on to Mars
http://www.geocities.com/marsterraforming/mannedmissions.html $400 Billion?
3. $200+ billion to rebuild New Orleans and the delta region from Katrina
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9281409/ $200 Billion

Nation building, world building, colonizing the universe!?

Vision or diversion?

How do we pay for all of this? I'm not sure the president knows, but he sure seems to have fun spending "someone's money".

Perhaps it is all a republican conspiracy to bankrupt thje federal government?
It is just strange to me how the republicans can have any credability at all over fiscal conservatism.

I wonder where the "real" conservatives are supposed to be now? Do we go with the "tax-and-spend" democrats or the "cut-taxes-and-spend" republicans?

I just can't imagine this nation has any direction to go but down, and I just wonder how many politicians KNOW this.

I don't have answers myself. I imagine supporting higher fuel costs, like Europe, yet, I see as well all the extra money in the government does seem to just prop up unsustainable government growth in entitlements anyway.

Sure, I'm not against the government funding rebuilding from Katrina. I mean constrained by a long term picture of keeping the next disaster from costing as much - abandoning the lowest lands from development, rebuilding and protecting the natural flood regions.

But whatever the "bill" is for the federal government, I'd demand accountability for paying for it. That means raising taxes Mr. President. It means paying for our own candy store.
Perhaps I should not be such a pessimist?

P.S. At least the Concord Coalition agrees with me! (And they're a smart group!) http://www.concordcoalition.org/press/2005/050916release.htm CONCORD COALITION CALLS FOR “PORK” RESCISSION AND TAX CUT FREEZE IN RESPONSE TO KATRINA

P.P.S. Such a nice president, always looking out for the people's short term interests!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9367762/
Some estimates have put the cost at more than $200 billion. The White House and Congress already have rushed $62.3 billion in emergency funds to the region.
The president made clear raising taxes was not an option to help cover the costs. “We got to maintain economic growth, and therefore we should not raise taxes,” Bush said, noting Americans were already paying “a tax in essence” because of higher gasoline prices. “And we don’t need to be taking more money out of their pocket.”