Thursday, December 01, 2005

Take a Breath, Change a World

May you live in interesting times. I think we've satisified that requirement for the last century. Will it last?

Who can say? Not me, but if you're a wagering person, and you'd like to make a 50 year bet, I've got my money on a completely different world in 50 years. 2055? Not that far away really. Halley's comet won't be back until 2061, and it's passed the earth dozens of times.

I think any period will have its interesting points, and if trying to stay alive is interesting, well, be prepared for interesting times!

I look forward to better seeing the hard choices that will have to be made in the next decade AND the change of expectations and consciousness. It'll be interesting to be sure, even if not very much fun.

It may yet just be an issue of domination that will control the world in 50 years, but I tend to think in the opposite direction - that those who try the dominion model are those with the most to lose and power will more likely than not slip between their fingertips whatever they do or want to do.

Of course I'm part of the Dominion Model, under the power of Growth Capitalism. Capitalism has served us well, and Democracy itself is uplifted by the Growth model. Unforunately Capitalism must change into a Decline model of reduced energy availability and I expect it'll become something different.

Well, I guess wars have been around quite a long time. In the past humans just supplied more of the energy in running them. I don't see us quickly going back to the wars of the English Empire where stategic events moved in months based on the speed of communication. Still, I expect war will slow down and localize more.

Mainly I'm just thinking, if you happened to be a part of a "resistance movement", Gandhi's approach would seem to gain power. It's a little tough to take, but ultimately I think direct resistance by violence must be less valuable in the future, even "terrorism" seems a little too impatient of an approach. It's true in regards to direct assault to the environment, I might get a little destructive in a response, but overall I prefer the "Witness" and "Document" model of resistance.

Well mostly I write "Take a breath" to mean things WILL change with or without our direct effort, so it's better to direct our attention to reacting and predicting as we can, to muddle into the future. It's a waste of effort to spend too much energy in direct fighting. Maybe I'm wrong, and a good fight of the underdogs against a superior force is always exciting. Maybe I just don't have the heart for it.

The political fight is more worthy, but perhaps equally frustrating and futile. To try to bridge the communication gap between people who believe in Biblical prophesy and the "Left behind" mythology, it seems too vast to hope for mutual respect and understanding. I'd best best hope to "classify" opponents, expose as I can, but otherwise let go. It's not like Unlimited Growth Capitalism isn't any LESS mythical and I'm still deceived by that dream.

So Take a Breath, and the world will change. Our time in history is coming to an end. The future will belong to those who best adapt to the changed world. Maybe looking all down is just as wrong as looking just up, but we shall see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home