Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The abundance illusion

I don't spend much time in grocery stores, or any sort of store, usually seem to have more fun in the scavenger life than spending money, and given the amount of waste around me, it works pretty well. Seriously, with my garden and food coop, I average spending less than $20/month at a supermarket myself.

Today I happened upon a grocery store with a friend, and contrasted my secure vision as a doomer versus her secure vision that "people with greater means than her will get problems of energy and production solved purely on their own profit motives."

Well, looking at the almost "sickening" abundance around in a modern supermarket, it seems clear how easily people can be deceived into seeing abundance. Common sense suggests that if the economy was going in the wrong direction we'd either see (1) Food prices much greater, or (2) Food abundance greatly diminished.

Not to say that many people are not feeling pinched by food prices already, only that Americans spend a lot less proportionally of their income on food than many other poorer countries.
Anyway, at least in my vision I saw what SIGN she would need to get worried.

I project this onto her, but accept it is my own test as well, the point where I can stop dividing my life into halves of (what I see, and what I know), and I'll know what I know because I finally can see. I WANT confirmation of my fears, even as I would rather not have them come to pass.

Well, just a final thought, SOMEDAY access to food in the U.S. WILL be a point of manipulation just like gasoline is becoming now.

The "Free Fall Market" will someday come to claim its dues upon us, and food will either be unaffordable or unavailable.

I'm curious if the government will have any more influence over food prices as it has over fuel prices.

Food prices are kept artificially low because of farm subsidies. I suppose in turn, we might now offer "Fuel subsidies" and some countries do this which can only speed up their day of destiny, and our "low fuel taxes" look positively wise in comparison.

It's all well and good to think that food production (and ethanol as well) are "renewable" products, but as long as we use nonrenewable energy to produce them, our economy is built on a big fat lie.

I suppose just like the poor now have "food stamps", we might offset a higher fuel tax with "fuel stamps". It's a subsidy, but at least it is directed where it is needed.

Some anti-population militants suggest feeding the poor only fattens them up to have more unsustainable kids. I can play such thought games as well, except recognizing that hungry people don't often die without a fight, and law and order is not maintainable in a state where basic needs for food and shelter are not available.

Elitism is a lazy place. I can simultaneously denounce the poor as unworthy of charity while denouncing the system that exploits the poor for fun and profit. Accountability is missing from both sides, and I can just sit back and complain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home