Friday, February 06, 2009

Accountability in the mirror

The political ideal in all questions is to denounce decisions being made and let your political opponents take responsibility for everything, and if it works out, you pretend you were in favor of it anyway, and if it doesn't work out, they're responsible for everything.

It was a real pleasure to have near complete economic collapse under the leadership of GW Bush, someone, I could never imagine as president, and still can't. And GW has his own pleasure of imagining another "war president" Lincoln who was redeemed. Unfortunately Bush won't be so lucky, which is to say he wasn't successfully assassinated, which always adds greatness to one's posterity.

Now I was foolish enough to support Obama for president, so I have to live with his decisions, just in case it makes a difference and the country can pull itself out of this disaster.

To me all of these bailouts and stimulus efforts are all signs of utter failure. I sort of think of my own fears - that I could live a life of careful frugality and then have a life-threatening disease like cancer come and cost more than my entire past existence. It's all crap. And I could imagine much of the country could have followed a more frugal path, and yet we'll ALL be torn down by this failure.

We're just not willing to be honest yet, and admit these are now revolutionary times, and everything being done now is NOT for our collectivity prosperity, but merely stall and delay tactics being done to give those with wealth and influence time to restructure themselves to keep what they have in the revolution that must follow.

I can't even guess what I mean. It's merely reason and logic, what I would do if I had a lifetime of wealth to protect. What I don't know, is what is safe. Certainly if you have billions at risk, you'll happily throw away a fraction to keep the other fraction. This may yet be a time to use wealth to grow wealth, using liquidity for bargain forced selling, but it had better be good bargains, and solid assets. Wealth is a big mystery to me, but I know how dragons think - protect your treasure. That's what's going on. That's why nothing makes sense - there's no sense at all in borrowing money you'll never be able to pay back, unless you don't believe it'll ever need to be paid back. Seriously, it's all incomprehensible to me.

If we didn't spend trillions of dollars we don't have, we'd have a dead stock market, we'd have massive unemployment, we'd have empty retirement accounts, we'd have wealth destruction beyond everything you can imagine. Right? Well, imagination is a funny thing. I can imagine the earth as a dead ball of rock, but that illusion isn't very believable when I see bright sunshine, a green living world. But whatever the future holds, it is ugly by necessity.

And as much as I wish to judge this as insanity, I don't have any answers, so I'll let my supported leader, President Obama, and his new gang, to clean things up as best he can.

All that's left for little me is to keep my own little life in order. Seriously I'm a mess of desires to escape and be oblivious to such things around me. There's some minimum level of responsibility I owe the world, and I'd better at least do that, even if I'd rather spend more time feeling sorry for myself for living in such a sorry and unpredictable world. OH, and I know things can get much worse, and as long as I have a job, it's best to keep doing it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home