Friday, April 06, 2007

Today's a good day to die

The warrior spirit is certainly inspiring, even when its foolhearty and doomed. Sometimes a selfless spirit can move us to a place we need to be, whether or not death is certain.

I'm NOT a warrior, except maybe when I'm on my little bicycle surrounded by cars and buses, but I can dream.

The saying also reminds me how to defeat powerful warriors. You make them WAIT! Some things require immediate action, and somethings are slow deaths where you slowly get acclimated to the next little surrender.

Incrementalism is the death of the warrior, the calm self-interest to keep going on the safe path now to any abstract costs in the future.

I often wonder, if I'm unsatisified with the world, how ought I respond? Can I retreat and go my own way? Can I join a group that will fight the good fight to change the way things are? Does the good fight even exist in a world of multiplicity?

Who am I to "tell the truth" and get people upset?

And my truth is primarily fear. I guess I would be satisified if everyone was as afraid as me - certain that the walls that protect us must fall sooner or later. The barbarians WILL come, and the government is not going to save us. I wonder what analogy is best?

Overall I accept we are our own worst enemy, although that's probably been true for all who have fallen in the past, too easily deluded by our recent success to seriously imagine or plan for a day we have to fight for survival.

It's a funny dream, a day when we have to fight for survival. I don't want to scare people. I don't want people to hoard guns and knifes and buried gold. I just want them to be aware we live in unusual times and harder times must come, no matter how hard your life seems now.

The fall might happen quick and nothing to be done, or it might happen more slowly where those who pay attention might respond and find ways to adapt.

I'm voting for the slower fall, because it is easier, but I know its harder for warriors. It's not the day you're holding a rifle as you open your front door to pounding beggars trying to get at your last food stores. It's the day you lose your job and have to take another job for 1/3 the pay. It's the day yo keep your job while your friends and family are suffering and you're just trying to get by yourself.

Interestingly I heard recently a friend friend's cousin tried to rob a bank, then broke into a house, holed up for 6 hours until finally shooting himself. Apparently related to falling into debt he couldn't escape. I guess he followed the warrior advice, although I don't think that's what it means.

A good day to die MEANS a good day to face what life brings and MAKE it into what you need to survive if you can. Preparing helps, but perhaps not the way we think.

Preparing might mean practicing the surrender of that which does not serve our future. The warrior spirit's power comes in surrendering fear-of-loss as a motivator for action.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home